Historic Usage of Mucuna Pruriens
Mucuna Pruriens has long been used in Ayurveda to treat nervous system disorders, low sex drive, and infertility.
Traditionally, Mucuna Pruriens has also been used as a carminative, anti-hypertensive, and anti-hypoglycemic agent. Mucuna Pruriens contains bioactive tryptamines including serotonin and 5-HTP.
Mucuna is most known for containing a very powerful neurotransmitter pre-cursor called L-Dopa.
The Benefits of L-Dopa
L-Dopa is an amino acid that converts into Dopamine. Dopamine is required for proper functioning of the brain. Dopamine is depleted by stress, stimulants, legal and illegal drug abuse, and alcohol. L-Dopa is known to be the most important nutrient for those suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
Experimental studies show L-Dopa also helps in the reduction of cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
L- Dopa may support the body's ability to produce health-giving hormones. As Dopamine is carried into the brain, it naturally optimizes the production of other hormones, including testosterone, which leads to an increased sex driveand improved sexual performance for both men and women.
It is also beneficial in stimulating muscle growth, as well as burning fat from fat cells.
The Benefits of Mucuna Pruriens:
- Better sleep (promotes deep sleep)
- Reduces body fat, and decreases cellulite and wrinkles
- Improves skin texture and appearance
- Helps maintain bone density
- Increases lean muscle mass
- Improves sense of well-being
- Enhances libido and sexual performance
- Favorably modulates blood lipids
- Improves adrenal and kidney health — builds Jing energy
- Strengthens the immune system
- Provides L-Dopa, which converts to Dopamine